Monday, June 12, 2006

Release good - suicide bad

I am sickened by the deaths of the detainees in Guantánamo, who saw no other course of action other than to take their own life. How desperate must they have become to contemplate committing suicide in order to escape a World without hope?

We have always prided ourselves, or at least I have, on the right to have my say and the right to proper legal representation in a court of law. I have never had to put the latter to the test but if ever I should need to in any country I hope this would be granted me.

There can be no justification for the detaining of the interns at Guantánamo without recourse to a trial.
Imagine being kept locked up for effectively the rest of your life with no access to family, friends and legal representation even if you were guilty?

We treat those found guilty of the murder and molestation of children better than those whom we can only presume innocent without a trial imprisoned by the US.

In calling this ‘a good PR move’ the US Administration has probably made even more enemies than they currently imprison.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home