Monday, April 21, 2008

A learning journey

I have had an interesting few days away from home and I have learned one or two things about myself and others.

For myself I have learned that to be honest is not always the best policy as the majority of people who say they prefer you to be open and honest are those who are the least equipped to deal with it.

Sometimes, especially around family and friends or friends of family, it is prudent to say nothing at all; I guess this is what is known as being able to ‘grin and bear it’, not an easy concept for me but one I have only just begun to understand and appreciate.

I now appreciate, albeit late on in life, that the only way to get anywhere is not to question everything and everyone when they are wrong or a wrong is being done, unless of course it is life threatening.

No matter how hard I have tried in the past to right wrongs at work I have never done myself any favours by sticking my neck out and daring to have a difference of opinion, even though I am willing to be challenged and enter into a debate.

It is therefore sometimes beneficial not to argue with someone who believes that theirs is the only opinion, it maybe better to leave them to their opinion since it is the only one they will ever listen to; this applies to folk both in and out of the work place.

I have learnt that some folk are just plain ignorant and arrogant.

More important than any of the above is that I have learnt my immediate family prefer me to just be there and to always be myself.

And just as an afterthought, if people believe you to be a twat then there is a fair chance that you probably are, but if only one person believes you to be so then there is just a good a chance that you are not and they are.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
At some time or other I may have been at least one of the aforementioned types, I only hope that as I grow older I do not get so far up my own arse that I cannot find my way out again and become so full of shit that I forget what the roses smell like.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 5:41 pm , Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

yeah, my kin folk usually say something along the lines of 'yes, we like it when people are open and honest, except for you jackiesue'.....haha

 
At 9:03 am , Blogger old enough to moan said...

you can't pick your family, and true friends are never as many as you think...thankfully my immediate family are close and my few real friends are true.

 
At 3:44 am , Blogger Tina said...

awww sounds like someone has been mean to you - shall I take em out back for ya?!? ;-)

I've learned to question everything now (learned that in grad school) and not take the guided tour because the tour guide is human and has his/her own biases

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home