Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Chemotherapy #1 [1/7]

Chemo #1 did not pass without its problems, namely the Cannula [the needle and vent flow they put in the back of the hand] and the vein on the back of my hand not acting as they should. Firstly the vein would not play ball and did not wish to show its ugly head, despite being plunged and soaked in hot water before hand, then as I hit it a few times with my other hand it soon jumped to the foreground. Thus the needle in the cannula had a target to hit, but once in it also did not go to plan

Having gone through all the routine and necessary paperwork with Nurse Rachel I was ‘flushed’ through the arm with a saline solution before the Chemo was due to be connected. Whilst I was being flushed I was informed of what to expect with regards to the possible side effects of the therapy, should I be so unlucky as to get them.
The needle in the cannula began to hurt the moment the Chemo was introduced into the system and into my arm. After several attempts it was decided to re-cannulate further up the arm, this time with much more success using Sister Rose’s lucky tourniquet.

Although the injection of the treatment lasted approximately ½ hour we were there for at least two hours, most of the time being taken up with the cannula problems and the filling and cross checking of paperwork.

Naturally having gone through this process many years ago, and having suffered quite badly at the hands of Chemotherapy, I was quite uptight and apprehensive throughout the whole process.

I am now at home and I wait for the side effects to take effect, because let’s face it, given my luck, it is bound to happen.

I have very little hair to lose so that does not worry me, unfortunately I have little to lose from my stomach since I am not eating as well as I might so I am hoping that the anti-sickness tablets supplied do their work.

Subsequent chemo sessions are booked for every Tuesday over the next seven weeks should I be fortunate enough for them to work and have no adverse side effects.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 2:16 am , Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

can you get some reefer?....seriously..
get some weed..it'll help with the nausua and give you an appetite...love you my friend.

 
At 4:06 pm , Blogger old enough to moan said...

I would'nt mind a bit of weed at times to be honest, if it comes to it I shall be looking up a couple of old friends, lol.
In the meantime, thank you for your prayers and candles.
Wishing you a very HAPPY, HEALTHY AND PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR.
Love OETM

 
At 3:54 am , Blogger Tina said...

I agree with Jackie, anything that helps :)

I remember the last time I had to take a needle. It was for an MRI back in May. I wasn't prepared, didn't hydrate myself enough (that can cause veins to hide too), so they had to stick my hand, hurt like a sonofabitch...so did all the tries in my arm. So sorry you are going through all of this. Take care hon.

Thinking of you and hoping and sending you wishes that you will have a healthier and happy New Year.

 
At 2:08 pm , Blogger old enough to moan said...

Thank you Tina.
I am so grateful for the good wishes of both you and Jackie.
May I wish you both a Happy and Healthy New Year. x

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home