Friday, February 27, 2009

Positive results from Scan

Well! What can I say and where do I start?
We naturally approached today’s appointment with more than a little trepidation and were extremely anxious in case we were going to get some news we had not anticipated from the Scan results of last week.

Not only was the news good but it just got better as the appointment progressed.
Firstly the tumour is now, after chemotherapy, half the size it was in just over seven weeks since treatment began. This far exceeded their expectations let alone ours. As a result I am now free from Chemotherapy for at least three weeks, unless the pains come back in which case I can phone to have more therapy arranged.

Secondly I also thought I would chance my arm in asking, as I knew many before me would’ve already asked, about a relatively new form of therapy to the UK known as Cyberknife. I read about this on a cancer social network site I had joined and thought I would enquire however I did not expect the reaction I received, which again was positive. The Oncologist has agreed to look further into my case to see if I am a possible candidate for the procedure as part of the start of clinical trials.

Cyberknife is only available in one clinic in the country and it is in the private sector in London but I have to be willing to pay for this should it be feasible. It will not cure but if it were possible it would increase the length of my life.
We are hoping that I am indeed eligible for this type of treatment that uses radiotherapy but much more localised than the current forms of radiotherapy treatment in use.

What a day, what a wonderful day.
This is yet another day whereby I cannot knock the NHS in the UK and once again I am truly indebted to them.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 2:35 am , Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

I am weeping with joy!

 
At 7:24 am , Blogger old enough to moan said...

Jackie, keep them candles burning, we are so elated here as you can imagine, days, weeks and now months, what next, years?
Thank you for your thoughts and prayers x

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home